For decades, Harlem residents have seen more and more drug-addiction centers placed uptown, making their neighborhoods home to programs other areas fight hard against.

The uneven distribution of opioid treatment programs across the city is just the latest example. Now community activists have the data to prove that Harlem has more clinics than it needs.

In an independent analysis of state data for 2019-2020, WNYC/Gothamist found that fewer than 25% of patients at local clinics were Harlem residents. The remaining 75%  traveled from as far as Staten Island or Westchester.


Hear James O’Donnell’s audio report for WNYC